Setting Dectalk USB to Factory Defaults

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 18:50:42 EST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Beth Hatch wrote:

> Windows recognizes the USB cable, it detects the hardware, but not in Serial
> mode with JAWS.  However, when I try to use Speakup and Linux, doing a
> modprobe for Dectalk won't find any Dectalk on the system whatsoever.

This is probably a dumb question, but are you switching the little switch
on the right side back to serial mode when testing in that mode?
When the switch is away from the headphone jack, it's in USB mode, and
when it's towards the headphone jack, it's in serial mode.  You probably
already knew this, but I just thought I'd ask.  Have you also tried a
different cable, to make sure the cable hasn't bit the dust?

As for other synthesizers, if you can get somebody to help you with
speech-dup and speech dispatcher, you could get software synthesis
working.  Since you mention a Braille display, you could also try and use
that with Brltty.