upgrading a Slackware kernel

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sun Feb 6 19:25:27 EST 2005

One option you have is to build your own patch against the kernel source
tree. This will most likely only allow you to apply the patch to the version
of the kernel for which you build the patch, but it will at least provide a
way to install speakup into your source tree should you need to. I do this
for a distro I work on, and it works well. We have a script that
automatically applies all of the patches we want to use in the source tree,
and speakup is one of them. Here's how I generate the patch.

1. Download and unpack the kernel source tree. I'll assume Linux 2.6.10 for
this example.

cd /usr/src
wget --passive-ftp
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.10.tar.bz2
tar -xjf linux-2.6.10.tar.bz2
ln -s linux-2.6.10 linux

2. Make a copy of the source tree. You'll need this to generate the patch.

cp -a linux-2.6.10 linux-2.6.10.orig

3. Use the checkout script to install speakup.

cd linux
wget --passive-ftp ftp://bumpy.braille.uwo.ca/pub/speakup/checkout
chmod 755 checkout
./checkout

4. Generate the patch.

cd ../
diff -urN linux-2.6.10.orig/ linux-2.6.10/ > speakup.patch

You can now remove the .orig directory if you want, as you don't need it any
more. Now, all you have to do when you unpack a new copy of the source tree
that hasn't been patched is the following, assuming that you have
speakup.patch in your home directory:

cd /usr/src
tar -xjf linux-2.6.10.tar.bz2
ln -s linux-2.6.10 linux
cd linux
patch -p1 -s < ~/speakup.patch
--
Profanity is the language all programmers know best.
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net
Verification: 5eab38a77ac40416e075be8f50607ff7