New Kernel

ace ace at talkingirc.com
Tue Oct 26 00:44:38 EDT 2004

Hello,

I am using Fedora Core II.  It was originally compiled without Speakup
support.  I logged into the box remotely (it's my friend's box) to recompile
his kernel with the latest Speakup CVS.  I downloaded the checkout script
and created a symlink called linux to point to the /usr/src/linux-2.6.8....
folder.  The make config and the make ran just fine.  I copied the
/arch/i386/boot/bzImage file to /boot.  I then went into /etc/grub.conf and
changed the kernel file name in the kernel line to bzImage.  That's all I
did.  I rebooted the box and it says something like:
"No init found, try passing init to the kernel", or something like that.
What did I do wrong?

NOTE -- I didn't understand many of the long and boring questions in the
make config script, so I pressed enter and accepted defaults to all of them.
Plus, there was only one question about Speakup, I think, it was about
compiling DoubleTalk into the kernel.  It's possible that I skipped more
when I got bored and just pressed enter a few times.

Thanks
Robby