Debian Uninstall Question

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat Oct 2 21:03:50 EDT 2004

I could be wrong about this, but I recall (at least in unstable0 that
x-window-system is just a virtual package, and once you have all your X
installed, removing it really doesn't do anything. the reason I think this
is because I was trying to get rid of xdm I didn't know if I could do it
because apt threatened to uninstall x-window-system along with xdm.
However, somebody told me this was just a virtual package; I went ahead
and did it and didn't lose any of my X system.
In fact, I just reinstalled recently and had to do the same thing.
As a test just now, I checked with the -u option what would happen if I
reinstalled xdm and i was told x-window-system would also be installed.
but my x is up and running, so it appears that my theory about this may be
right.
I'm not sure if this is the case with most meta-packages; at least in this
case, the meta-package seems to function for installation but perhaps not
for removal.

--
Cheryl