speakup.i and ide-scsi conflict

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Dec 30 01:41:08 EST 2002

Don't confuse the goldstar cdrw drives with the driver for
the goldstar non-ide 2x and 4x drives.
You want the ide/atapi support not the gs420 cdrom support.
Before atapi was popular there were many nonstandard cdrom interfaces;
Mitsumi, pannasonic, goldstar, Teac, philips cm206 and sonie.
All the modern cdrw drives post 2000 are scsi3/mmc compatible
and most new models are ide/atapi.
Many people will tell you that scsi cd writers are the easiest under Linux;
and that the ide/atapi ones are extreme trouble.
This is not true once the kernel support is configured. In fact;
I have a Liteon 40x writer that is ide and it rips better and burns better
than my Yamaha scsi burner.

Also in relation to a previous message you posted;
the ppa is the old interface for zip drives; the new parallel use im support.
Both these modules are included in the standard kernel and often using the
drivers on a cd can actually downgrade versions of drivers since the cd
was pressed possibly before the kernel you may have had was released.
I found that drivers for the backpack ide tape drive I had were newer in my kernel and worked better
after a recompile than the ones I grabbed from the backpack website.

Regards, Kerry.