speakup.i and ide-scsi conflict

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Dec 27 02:28:38 EST 2002

Let's sort a few things out here.
I agree that it is unreasonable for a new user to compile a kernel;
the choices are many and varied.
The problem you are facing is that there are 2 ways to talk to ide/atapi
devices.
let me demonstrate:
Let us assume we have an ide burner to start with.
If you compile in ide-cdrom support and scsi emulation; you get the writer
controlled by the atapi cdrom driver.
This is not what you want since the burning process requires scsi commands to be
sent to the atapi device (which happens under windows too btw)
and you need the emulation layer for this.
The same holds true for the zip drive; without  scsi emulation
you get it showing as an atapi floppy disk. it does work in this mode;
but you can't use the ziptools to lock a disk in the drive set passwords etc.

I would guess that what slackware has done is compiled ide-scsi emulation as a
module. All you must do in this case is specify
hdd=noprobe
then load the ide-scsi module after boot.
you'll see your burner show up as scsi device 0,0,0
(bus,id,lun) and you can then do something like
cdrecord -v speed=n dev=0,0,0 image
The reason you compile ide cdrom support into your distribution kernel and not
scsi emulation is so that the installer can read the cds to install the data;
and a few old cdrom drives do not work with scsi emulation.
See if you have a module called ide-scsi.o in
/lib/modules/kernel-version/block (or is it scsi not sure) and modprobe it
to get scsi emulation after giving the kernel the hdd=noprobe option.
If the atapi cdrom driver has hdd the ide-scsi driver can't have it.
hdd=noprobe tells the ide subsystem not to probe for hdd on boot so the cdrom
driver won't find the drive which is what we want.
The same holds true for an atapi tape drive but you use ide-tape instead of ide-scsi.
Note that linux will talk to tape drives; zip drives; floppies; super-floppies;
cdr and cdrw; worm; magneto optical and most others that can go
on an atapi bus; also the floppy tape streamers work
as well as the external parallel versions of cdrw and tape drives.
Given a day or two we could probably hook all your backup devices to your linux box
and have them work flawlessly.
Linux has better out of the box backup support than
windows 9x and probaly 2k and xp; problem is it takes initial setup to get
it to run.

Regards, Kerry.
--
Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au