reserved IP addresses

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Dec 22 11:16:18 EST 2002

You need the RFC of assigned numbers.
the following addresses are considered non-routable under ipv4
and should not be forwarded by a router that connects to the internet that
is these packets should never appear on the internet.
10.0.0.0/8 (Class A)
172.16.0.0/16 to 172.255.0.0/16
192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.255.0/24
The network 127.0.0.0/8 is reserved for loopback use with 127.0.0.1
beeing the localhost.

There is no reason why speakup would not run on an ipv6 enabled kernel;
I have personally not used ipv6 since at the moment much of it it is tunneled over ipv4 networks and vendors
are still adding support for it and the standards are stabilizing.

Regards, Kerry.