ot, getting a domain name

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Nov 28 16:44:45 EST 2001

Hi greg.  I paid $60 for my asmodean.net for 2 year registration from
www.registrars.com.  I pay $20 a year for nols.com who does dynamic dns
updates that only take like 3 minutes at most to update.  I got the
nols.com account because at the time I had rr.com internet then
earthlink.net dsl which is pppoe and so never had a static IP.  Now when
I converted to sprintion and now speakeasy.net I have static IP so don't
really need nols.com but I paid for a year.  When the year runs out I
will not need dynamic dns but I still have to renew asmodean.net.  There
is another registrar I found www.dotregistrars.com which charge like $14
for a domain per year but I don't remember their packages.  So there are
two things you have to consider.  1 registering the domain so you have
rights touse it and capabilities to use it.  2 finding a host for
registered domain.  Those are two different but commonly confused
issues.  If you read the services on nols.com's web page they do a good
job of describing how it works in case I've confused the issue.  Once my
account with nols.com expires I will not renew since I have static IP
addresses and will either host my own domain by registering my
asmodean.net as dns servers or I'll have my domain hosted for free
because of where I work.  Only reason I went with nols.com was because
of needing dynamic dns and because they are more reliable than free
dynamic dns hosts.

Best regards.
--
Raul A. Gallegos http://www.asmodean.net
The lunatic is in my head.  The lunatic is in my head.  You raise