Open Source News From IBM

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Nov 9 18:55:48 EST 2001

SOME I.B.M. SOFTWARE TOOLS TO BE PUT IN PUBLIC DOMAIN
Issue: Open Source
I.B.M. plans to announce today that it is placing $40 million of its
software tools in the public domain as the first step toward founding an
open-source organization for developers. The move is the latest step in
International Business Machines embrace of the open-source software model,
in which programmers around the world share software code for joint
development and debugging. The new open-source organization, called Eclipse,
will focus on the programming tools used to build applications and other
software. More than 150 software companies, from Linux distributors like Red
Hat and SuSE to applications developers like Rational and Bow Street, are
lined up to join the Eclipse community. I.B.M. considers it a worthwhile
investment to place in the public domain software tools that it spent $40
million to develop, seeing the move as one that further undermines the
leading operating system suppliers, like Microsoft.
[SOURCE: New York Times, AUTHOR: Steve Lohr]
(http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/05/technology/05OPEN.html)
(requires registration)

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp