Raspberry question

Glenn K0LNY glennervin at cableone.net
Sun Jan 17 18:17:15 EST 2021

Hey Ken,
Is speech dispatcher running?
Can you get something from:
spd-say hello

HTH
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: <kperry at blinksoft.com>
To: <speakup at linux-speakup.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2021 4:04 PM
Subject: Raspberry question

Well, it has been a long time since I have been on this list.   Over the
years I have been using Orca, but I have been missing speakup.  I have used
my raspberry PI's up to this time on ssh.  I was hoping that the new release
in December of the rasbion which has access built in would just work out of
the box.   I am able to get Orca going and Emacspeak, and even espeak at the
command line.

The problem is speakup seems to be working but does not work.    When I am
at the tty terminal using the keyboard and with Xwin shut down.   I can make
espeak say thins but I am not able to get speakup to work.  When I do PS I
can see that both speak up and espeakup -V are running.  I have tried doing

Sudo Systemctl enable espeakup.service

Sudo Systemctl start espeakup.service

I have even tried without the .service on the previous lines.  So far
nothing I have tried has got speakup talking.

Does anyone know how to get speakup to talk on the new Rasbion build?  I
would much rather be using speakup than Ora or emacspeak.

I have asked this on the Raspberry PI list already and no one has answered.

Ken