Speech stops responding on Talking Arch

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Sep 14 10:16:15 EDT 2020

Something like this happened in slint with espeak in use.  I solved it
by using speechd-up for speech output.  My guess is this isn't an espeak
problem but what espeak uses for output speech-dispatcher by default in
slint.  Another solution would be to switch to use of fenrir though
fenrir passes ansi drawing characters straight through to the output for
now other than that it's well developed.  If you run nmtui with espeak
then run  nmtui with fenrir you'll be able to hear the difference
passing ansi drawing characters through to the output makes.
That might be speechd-el rather than speech-dup espeak uses on slint.  I
just had coffee this morning having been a week without so the brain
will probably work better later.