calling all dectalk users

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu May 14 16:40:58 EDT 2020

You can also start with a dectalk by default in debian and most if not
all derivatives. At www.debian.org, follow the get debian
link. Probably the smallest image with speakup is the netinst iso
image. Grab that, and burn it to a CD, or write it out to a USB drive
using dd. More info on this process is in debian's documentation
section.

Then boot your PC from either CD, or your uSB disk, depending on which
you created above. Once you hear a beep from your PC speaker, press
tab, space, and type speakup.synth=dectlk and press enter.

This assumes your dectalk is connected to your first serial port. You
should then hear your dectalk asking you to select a language for the
installation.

Since you probably don't plan to install debian, (though you are
welcome to of course) press alt+right arrow, followed by enter.

You should now be at a command prompt, and able to echo commands to
/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct, and see what your dectalk
sounds like. Hope that helps.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net