Intro and a couple questions

geek at geekonskates.com geek at geekonskates.com
Fri Jan 31 16:29:35 EST 2020

Hey there!  Happy Friday! *smile*

I'm new to this list, and first off I wanted to thank you guys.  Speakup
is absolutely awesome!  I tried that TalkingArch a long time ago, and it
was okay, but I wished it were TalkingBuntu or Talkian or something
else. *lol*  It's also no longer maintained from what I've heard.  But
anyway, today I was updating Ubuntu from 18.04 to 19.whatever, and that
broke the GUI.  And of course, the default terminal screen has extremely
tiny text, and I need zoom to read it; so, after about an hour of
searching the web for solutions, and using my phone's magnifier app to
see what I was doing, I remembered someone on another list mention
speakup.  Now I have a fully functional screen reader for the Linux
terminal, and I'm absolutely loving it!  Way to go, Speakup team!
*smile*

Anyway, I had a couple questions, if you don't mind:

1. Is Speakup the same thing as Espeakup?  I tried "sudo apt-get install
speakup" and it suggested replacing it with "espeakup".  I know what
eSpeak is, and I've used it many times in my own projects, but are they
the same thing?

2. I'm also a developer, and I'm a big fan of building terminal apps.
But my terminal apps have use eSpeak to talk, and also use a code
library called ncurses to create a decent interface for users with some
vision.  I know ASCII art in general should always be either avoided or
optional, but I'd like what I build to be accessible to everyone,
including people with some vision.  Anyway, in my troubleshooting
earlier, I ran dpkg-config something-or-other and got what looked like a
colorful screen with a message box.  Speakup/Espeakup was still rambling
on about something previously printed to the screen, but when I pressed
the down arrow, it spoke the currently selected option.  This is
awesome!  But I'm interested in learning how to make my projects
compatible with Speakup.  I'm sure it's more than just not linking to
eSpeak (lol).  How did it know which bit of text on the screen was
selected?

3. I'd like to get involved.  I know C and Git well, currently learning
GDB and Makefiles (I got the basics though), but definitely capable of
contributing.  I don't know much about the kernel, but I'd like to
learn.  I'm also fluent in Spanish, so I'd like to translate the user's
guide (which I'm still reading) into Spanish.  How would I get started?
Apart from reading the user guide I mean - still working on that.

Thanks and have a great weekend! *smile*