Hosting speakup on freedesktop?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 21 16:44:57 EST 2020

Hello,

Currently we have an old git repository on
http://linux-speakup.org/speakup.git , that was not updated since
~2013.  I don't seem to have push access to it. We also have some
bug tracking on https://github.com/bytefire/speakup/issues . This
looks quite scattered, and github.com depends on the good will
of Microsoft. I'm thinking that we could have speakup hosted on
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org (freedesktop is a "completely volunteer
organisation with no corporate backing or funding stream", notably part
of X.org). We can keep the mailing list as it is, but we could move the
git repository and the issue tracking there, where it is easy to create
accounts, give rights, follow-up on bugs etc.  I have made a request for
a speakup group creation to freedesktop people.

The idea is that on that repository we could host the latest version of
the speakup source code, so that people can try it without having to
patch and rebuild their whole kernel etc.

Samuel