Efficiently using terminal with screenreader

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Dec 18 05:54:27 EST 2020

Reece:

To run Speakup on your Mac, you'll need a vm environment like those
offered by VMware or Virtual Box. The vm functions as the translation
layer between Linux software code execution and native Macintosh code
execution, i.e. OS X on your Mac is a variant of Berkeley System Unix
(BSD), which is very different from Linux at the very low levels where software makes hardware do its
thing. Even though many of the commands you can find in /usr/bin are the
same and function in very similar ways, the two environments are quite
different under the hood.

Note that the end result can out to be very similar to what you're
contemplating should you also install samba in your Linux vm and mount
the "remote" Mac filesystem. But, you cannot simply contrive the Mac
Terminal to run Speakup rather than voice over.

Also, you have the dual boot option on your Mac where you could run
Linux with Speakup rather than Windows as your bootcamp managed guest
OS.

Important about the vm approach -- While Parallels is another
application for providing vm functionality on the Mac, last I heard it's
not at all accessible to Voice Over, unlike VMware or Virtual Box.

Two more quick comments about this ...

You can in fact read line by line with Voice Over in a Mac Terminal
session, but there are more steps involved. My memory on how to do this
is a bit hazy. I believe you interact with the terminal object by first
pressing VO+Down-arrow. At this point you're "in" the text object and
can read line by line, word by word, etc.

Second, some folks associated with the San Francisco Lighthouse came up
with a screen reader for the Mac Terminal called TDSR intended to
simplify this interaction. I didn't look to see whether this is still
actively developed, but the link I have for this project is:

https://github.com/tspivey/tdsr

Best,

Janina