DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Chime Hart chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sun Apr 19 21:10:16 EDT 2020

Hi Samuel-and-All: And yes, even though I have some frustrations in Speakup, as
a user, I am quite thankful there are folks such as you-and-others still working
on it. You indirectly aluded to something I've been thinking over the years. I
don't think there are any commercial screen-readers in Linux. After enjoying
Vocal-Eyes for maybe 12years, because it was commercial it was feature rich, as
well, you could either trade individual mail with the same people who would
gladly answer the phone-and-walk you through an opperation.
Back then whether you called Arkenstone about OpenBook or another vender, they
all understood these DecTalks. Many years ago we tried getting YASR working with
this unit, but no luck.
So, yes, other than e-macs-speak which I don't understand, if there were another
similar option like Vocal-Eyes, I would jump at it.
On another point, I probably mentioned an inflection
option while asking for
guidance. However, for 16years or more since I've been useing Speakup, I have
constantly mentioned trouble with these DecTalk drivers, but since I am not a
programmer I know nothing about writing code. Unlike other opperating systems,
you know I have never once had another knowlegable Speakup user here working on
my system. Many years ago when the latest kernel which would work with a DecTalk
was 2.6.32, I did have a very good sighted Linux expert here who was on I R C
with Speakup folks. Unfortunately he eventually figured out that nobody cared.
In addition I've gotten alot of value from others creating helpful tools which
either edited audio which was sorely needed or wrote a much more robust usenet
news client. Thanks so much for listening-and-I hope I adequately explained my
position.
Chime