DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Fri Apr 17 20:53:06 EDT 2020

Samuel,
Since you removed the explanation about inflection, I hope you realize its
importance to the function of any   quality screen reader...it is after
all what helps humans sound more human in the first place.
The idea of leaving  important aspects like  rate pitch and inflection
configuration   specifics to  the
synthesizer, translates  into  inconsistent speakup performance.  From what
you  say, the quality will depend on the synthesizer not the  screen reader
program.  That, speaking personally, is a mistake.  End users should
expect the same quality of critical aspects, and yes the ability to fine tune
how fast how clear  and how human   what your using is, sits firmly in the
critical dictionary,  from  their screen reader, regardless of
synthesizers.  Of course individuals are
going to fine tune those factors, why ever would they not? Such
preferences  vary from person to person, its part of why there are so many hardware
synthesizers in the first place, and why software speech is  considered of
such poor
quality  for many, when both compared to those tools and the human voice.
As for users of speekup   updating the files, that would require a uniform
experience, which as you seem to illustrate here is beyond  what a user
should   expect to fine.
My comments may seem  harsh to you, but  the ability to use Linux  in a
fluid fashion for some is only as good as the screen reader,  and those
doing  the work, even if  volunteers, must respect as much.
Its apart  of quality control.

Just my opinion ,
Karen