DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Fri Apr 17 14:57:27 EDT 2020

  Hi folks,

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020, Samuel Thibault wrote:

>> I don't understand what Chime means by inflection, but from the thread
>> so far, I'm 90% sure he doesn't mean pitch.

Gentlemen,
Inserting an explanation about inflection, at least as applied to the
dectalk.
Inflection is what provides a more human expression when text is read.
For example
  the decktalk will still use a voice reflecting that a question has been
asked even if punctuation is turned off.  will shout at the presence of an
exclamation mark etc.

Granted Speaking personally this entire exchange supports chime's stance
that speakup must be used by programmers, but there*must* be something
uniform that allows rate, pitch, inflection, presence or absence of spoken
caps, presence or absence of curtain punctuation marks, etc., available for
*the user* to set and have those remain  constant, not to change at the
whims of speakup. if that is not happening, you have problems.
as for people falling  into chime's configuration trap, keep in mind that
even Linux has little  solid consistent guides.  To assume that someone is
not going to have to experiment.
Such is why  speaking personally, there should be guides both for Linux
itself and speakup outside of  the operating system, not the howtos that
load from within the system.
Inflection is what makes a synthesizer sound human and clear and
understandable.

Think Stephen Hawking  as an example.
Likewise consider that someone new to speech *must* be able to understand
what is spoken, based on human interaction, which includes inflection.
If speakup lacks the option  after being around  for so long, no wonder
few testing for accessibility even bother with Linux at all.

Karen