DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Apr 16 21:28:58 EDT 2020

Samuel Thibault, le ven. 17 avril 2020 03:12:11 +0200, a ecrit:
> I don't have the programming manual for the dectalk, so I don't know
> what relation the hardware makes between "dv pr" and "dv ap".

With a quick search I found it on
https://manualzz.com/doc/7326177/dectalk-5.01-e1-user-guide
and it says:

ap Average pitch, in H
pr Pitch range, in %

So it's indeed a different thing: ap is the average, and pr is how much
it should vary (defaults to 100% with the Paul voice). I'd still be
surprised that setting dv ap would change dv pr as well, they are
supposed to be independent.

Maybe experimenting with synth_direct would allow to know more, e.g.

echo "[:dv ap 112 pr 100] First test [:dv ap 112 pr 250] Second test [:dv ap 113] Third test" >> /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct

I would expect the second test to have more inflection, and the third
test to have the same inflection, only a very little bit higher pitch.

Samuel