DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Apr 16 21:12:11 EDT 2020

Gregory Nowak, le jeu. 16 avril 2020 17:40:33 -0700, a ecrit:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 01:28:13AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Well, yes, but that'll work only until speakup wants to change the pitch
> > for whatever screen-reader-related reason such as expressing caps etc.
>
> I don't understand what Chime means by inflection, but from the thread
> so far, I'm 90% sure he doesn't mean pitch.

Ok, reading more closely:

Chime wrote:
> To enjoy more inflection, I must type
> sudo echo "[:dv pr 250]" >> /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct

The driver reads:
> { PITCH, .u.n = {"[:dv ap %d] ", 122, 50, 350, 0, 0, NULL } },

My bad, notice "pr" vs "ap" which I didn't spot initially. The rest of
the driver doesn't talk about "dv pr".  I don't have the programming
manual for the dectalk, so I don't know what relation the hardware
makes between "dv pr" and "dv ap". Ideally they would be independent,
and thus using synth_direct would indeed be a proper way to set it up,
since speakup itself won't set "dv pr". But since Chime reports it to be
overwritten, it looks like there is a relation with something else,
possibly the pitch, possibly not. I don't know either what inflexion
means, but if it's something different from pitch and rate, we can
probably just add it as another variable like those two, so it can be
set just the same way. One would just need to know the range of values
that can be used.

Samuel