DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Apr 15 17:59:35 EDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 01:57:52AM -0700, Chime Hart wrote:
> Thanks Greg. Running sudo speakupconf save  didn't ruin my settings,
> however, once I ran it with load, the pitch still went to 122 and my
> inflection setting was knocked out. By the way that is a command sent to the
> dectalk, has little or nothing to do with Speakup.

Right, which is most likely why you're having the issues you mentioned.

> And lastly, we modified the charactors file, so when I type the number 9  it
> would say niner. And other similar changes, but running that load command
> knocks that out-and-resets to the defalts. By running my "rd" alias, it
> coppies the charactors file back in to use. Thanks for your guidance.

The speakupconf save should also copy the characters file. If you want
to be really sure that your custom characters file is the one that
gets loaded by speakupconf load, you can delete the one in
/etc/speakup/i18n/characters, and copy your own by hand into
/etc/speakup/i18n.

I would also strongly recommend opening an issue about the problems
you're experiencing at:

<https://github.com/bytefire/speakup/issues>

so that it is documented, and has a bigger chance of being looked
into. If that's something you're unable to do, I can open it for you,
and point to this discussion.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net