DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Apr 15 00:42:39 EDT 2020

OK, sounds like you might not be taking full advantage of what the
speakupconf tool can do. Let's start with your pitch. Set it to 113
which seems to be what you would like it to be at. Then run:

speakupconf save

as root. Now, when you run speakupconf load, your pitch should be at
113.

Keep in mind that when you set speech parameters through synth_direct,
they aren't guaranteed to be in effect, since speakup can reset your
dectalk to speakup's values. I don't know what your inflection setting
corresponds to in speakup, but I'm guessing it would be either freq, or
tone. I doubt the values speakup takes for those settings go up to
250, but you can maybe figure that out by looking at the
speakup_dectlk.c driver like you did for the rate, or you can set them
with:

echo 5 >/sys/accessibility/speakup/dectlk/freq

and

echo 5 >/sys/accessibility/speakup/tone

where 5 should be replaced with the number you want. Try experimenting
with those to see how high they go for you. You can read them back
with:

cat /sys/accessibility/speakup/dectlk/freq

and

cat /sys/accessibility/speakup/tone

If one of those gets your inflection to where you want, then just run:

speakup save

and your problems will hopefully go away. If this doesn't bring your
inflection to where you want, then someone would have to figure out
which speakup parameter corresponds to inflection, and see if the
driver can be modified to set inflection to the value you need from
speakup itself. I believe that Oakash has a dectalk to work with, and
he is familiar with speakup's code. If that's correct, then maybe this
is something Oakash would be able to look into, and fix.

Greg

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 09:04:02PM -0700, Chime Hart wrote:
> Thanks Greg: Next time these values drop, I will try that. Most times I
> don't run that alias, usually just hit insert+1 which brings volume back to
> 85, but I also do that for each of these settings which get knocked down.
> Just tried your load command, which knocked out my extra inflection, and
> moved the pitch from 113 to 122. To enjoy more inflection, I must type
> sudo echo "[:dv pr 250]" >> /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct
> Thats in an alias which calls a script.
> Chime

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1