cannot go to google search results with lynx

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Wed Nov 13 17:29:40 EST 2019

	hello.  I do not have a gmail account, but I don't think this work
around  is dependent on having a gmail account.  We're talking about lynx,
the text based browser.

-thanks
-Brian

On Nov 13,  5:19pm, Karen Lewellen wrote:
} Subject: Re: cannot go to google search results with lynx
} Brian,
} Do you have a gmail account?
} If so, does this solution work?
}
}
}
} On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, Brian Buhrow wrote:
}
} > 	hello.  There is a work around for this problem and it still works as
} > of this morning.  I've been using it for years.
} >
} > 1.  Start lynx as you normally would with your favorite startup page.
} >
} > 2.  Press o for options to open the options form.
} >
} > 3.  Search for the accept cookies entry.
} >
} > 4.  Say yes to cookies, ssl certs, ssl errors. etc.
} >
} > 5.  Tab or search down to the user agent string.
} >
} > 6.  Check the box that says, send user agent string.  Make sure it's
} > checked.
} >
} > 7.  For the user agent string delete the existing string and write:
} > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 11.2; Linux-14.4)
} >
} > 8.  Press accept.
} >
} > Now, when you  go to www.google.com, you should be able to enter search
} > terms, click on the Google Search button, and see a results page with
} > usable links.
} >
} > 	As a side work around, sometimes you'll encounter pages that won't
} > display and will give you an error like: Forbidden, with some text about
} > performance and security from Cloudflare.  If you go into options, turn off
} > the send user agent string, press accept and reload the page, that usually
} > gets the content.  Remember, however, that if you don't send the user agent
} > string when using Google search pages, you won't get usable results pages,
} > so I usually turn the user agent string back on when I'm done with the
} > Cloudflare pages.
} >
} > Hope that helps.
} >