Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Fri Mar 29 18:03:07 EDT 2019

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Kirk Reiser, le ven. 29 mars 2019 11:34:54 -0400, a ecrit:
>> One wouldn't think people concerned with accessibility would let
>> something like this get passed them.
>
> It is very very very hard for me to read this.
> This kind of remark doesn't help with anything, it can only bring
> bad things, like me just quitting completely, and leaving all debian
> accessibility stuff on the floor. Fortunately I'm thick-headed, but even
> thick heads do break at some point.

Samuel: I apologize for my tone in this comment. I appreciate
everything folks like yourself and Okash are doing for the project.

I mistakenly assumed that you had others on the accessibility team
helping to catch problems as they come through.I figured as picky as
the kernel folks were that they would have scads of volunteers helping
make sure every brace and blank line was properly placed.

> No, you can just _*not*_ assume that maintainers will be able to do all
> tests to catch *all* issues that a daily user will meet. There is just
> not enough time for that. So users have to report the issues they are
> having. Or some users have to become maintainers, so they can just fix
> the issues they are facing. AFAICT, the issue you mentioned hasn't been
> raised for *years*, not even a mail to debian-accessibility at . I'm really
> not surprised it hasn't been fixed for years either then.

As far as I can tell this really only just showed up as an
issue. Maybe something changed in the scheduling of the package
installation to remove the positioning of stopping a running
application and restarting it.

> Yes, if I had an infinite amount of free time, I would be able to do all
> the tests I would *LIKE* to do, but I just can't afford the time to do
> that at least because my body tells me I have to sleep at least a few
> hours per day.

As do we all which may be one of the problems with the whole debian
maintainer system. It certainly is much more stringent in requiring
hoops to be jumped and I's needing dotted than I ever had the stamina
to handle.

>> Just an observation I've hit twice while upgrading my distro.
>
> Thanks for it!  I'll fix that for Buster. Unfortunately the next upgrade
> will again have the issue, since it's the prerm script which stops
> espeakup. But the upgrade after that (or a reinstall) should be fine.
>
> Samuel

Kirk, feeling sheepish.

p.s. I believe we've just passed the 20th anniversary of my first releasees of speakup.