Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Thu Mar 28 17:59:48 EDT 2019

Willem van der Walt <wvdwalt at csir.co.za> writes:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Firstly, speakup is a kernel module, so is likely installed with your
> kernel packages, I.E. linux-image-some_numbers./
>
> You can try to do:
> modprobe speakup_soft
>
> and if that just comes back to your prompt, the speakup_soft module
> loaded,

It did.

> prooving that speakup itself is fine.
>
> In that case, I would suggest you do:
> apt-get install --fix-missing

I am not familiar with this but it sure sounds like a good idea.

	I tried it and it basically confirmed what I already know
It tries to fix the problem.  The old script gives errors.  The
new script gives errors so it gives up.  Here is it's output:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following additional packages will be installed:
  espeakup
  espeakup
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 25 not upgraded.
12 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/37.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] apt-listchanges: Reading changelogs...
(Reading database .
Preparing to unpack .../espeakup_1%3a0.80-5+deb9u3_i386.deb ...
Failed to stop espeakup.service: Unit espeakup.service not loaded.
invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 5
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
Failed to stop espeakup.service: Unit espeakup.service not loaded.

That's odd if the new environment uses a different method of
stopping and starting services.

	The rest is the crash log which is the same no matter if
I try to deinstall/reinstall or run apt-get --fix-missing.

Thanks anyway.

invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/espeakup_1%3a0.80-5+deb9u3_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 5
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
Failed to start espeakup.service: Unit espeakup.service is not loaded properly: Invalid argument.
See system logs and 'systemctl status espeakup.service' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "start" failed.
● espeakup.service - Software speech output for Speakup
   Loaded: error (Reason: Invalid argument)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:espeakup(8)

Mar 28 16:37:27 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 16:37:27 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 16:41:11 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 16:41:11 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 16:41:13 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 16:41:13 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 16:41:19 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 16:41:19 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 16:41:21 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 16:41:21 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: error while cleaning up: