Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Thu Mar 28 15:43:39 EDT 2019

Hi Martin,
Firstly, speakup is a kernel module, so is likely installed with your
kernel packages, I.E. linux-image-some_numbers./
You can try to do:
modprobe speakup_soft
and if that just comes back to your prompt, the speakup_soft module
loaded, prooving that speakup itself is fine.
In that case, I would suggest you do:
apt-get install --fix-missing
which would try to sort out your half-installed packages.
Then try to re-install espeakup.
HTH, Willem