Espeakup and Speech-Dispatcher-git--Fighting again?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Mar 23 23:14:34 EDT 2019

Thanks, Chris!

I'd totaly forgotten about libao.conf. Come to find out that I've
already got a plughw:1 directive there. Perhaps you pointed me to that
once upon a time before old age squashed my recollection of that.

The real problem I'm having since updating my Arch last Friday is that
using startx to get the desktop environment going has been killing
espeakup on my console environment. I can bring it back with a systemctl
restart espeakup, but it comes back on the wrong sound card, and that's
a problem because the next card, my alsa default device as specified in
asound.conf, is my Sennheiser headset which I need available for use
with linphonec.

I've just recently gotten linphone working again by clearing out years
of compiles and starting over from scratch. We'll see how stable it is.
I can make calls, but accepting an incoming call immediately seq faults.
Nevertheless, this is progress, and I dearly want to be able to use that
headset for outbound teleconferences.

For whatever reason whether or not starting the graphical desktop does
or doesn't kill espeakup seems to be a hit or miss thing. I've booted
some dozen times today and sometimes it breaks, and sometimes it
doesn't. At the moment I'm working both in the gui and in the text
console, so I'm disinclined to tweak very much.

Didier's espeakup configuration for slink looks tantalizing. I wonder
how hard it would be to pass an alsa_card param in the Arch build?

Best,

Janina

--

Janina Sajka