TODO file

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Mar 14 08:24:47 EDT 2019

Okash Khawaja, le jeu. 14 mars 2019 11:07:26 +0000, a ecrit:
> I can't find any reference to in_atomic() in speakup code. According to
> "Atomic context and kernel API design" [1] lwn article, in_atomic()
> started being phased out of general kernel code around 2.6.26. I guess
> this commit removed remaining references to in_atomic: d7500135802c
> "Staging: speakup: Move pasting into a work item". Is there any more
> work to be done for this?

It seems there is no more indeed.

> Also can someone give a bit of a background or pointers regarding
> moving kobjects:
>
> "The kobjects may have to move to a more proper place in /sys. The
> discussion on lkml resulted to putting speech synthesizers in the
> "speech" class, and the speakup screen reader itself into
> /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/speakup, the nasty path being handled by
> userland tools."

I don't remember the discussion. I'm not sure what is best. Moving
synthesizers to a speech class and the screen reader to vtconsole makes
sense technically, less so in terms of users (and the userland tools
then have to adapt to the new path). I'd say try to find the discussions
where the location was discussed, to check whether this is really wanted
by kernel developers, otherwise I'd stay leave it where it is and focus
on items which are more useful.

Actually, perhaps the only item that remains for getting out of staging/
is the selection duplication. Perhaps it is time to check with Greg what
he sees needs to be done. Perhaps only codestyle remains at this point?
(getting out of staging is an important goal, both for settling the
driver, but also for getting included in distributions which build only
mainline drivers)

Samuel