TODO file

Okash Khawaja okash.khawaja at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 07:07:26 EDT 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 23:09:15 +0100
Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Okash Khawaja, le mar. 12 mars 2019 20:26:52 +0000, a ecrit:
> > For now, I wanted to ask how much of this part is still to be done:
> >
> > "The first issue has to do with the way speakup communicates with
> > serial ports.  Currently, we communicate directly with the hardware
> > ports. This however conflicts with the standard serial port
> > drivers, which poses various problems. This is also not working for
> > modern hardware such as PCI-based serial ports.  Also, there is not
> > a way we can communicate with USB devices.  The current serial port
> > handling code is in serialio.c in this directory."
>
> You have done it all :)
>
> (even if, as you mentioned, the USB auto-probing would now be great)
>
> Samuel

Great, thanks. At the end of this exercise, I'll update TODO file and
add usb auto-probing to it.

Regarding:

"Some places are currently using in_atomic() because speakup functions
are called in various contexts, and a couple of things can't happen
in these cases. Pushing work to some worker thread would probably help,
as was already done for the serial port driving part."

I can't find any reference to in_atomic() in speakup code. According to
"Atomic context and kernel API design" [1] lwn article, in_atomic()
started being phased out of general kernel code around 2.6.26. I guess
this commit removed remaining references to in_atomic: d7500135802c
"Staging: speakup: Move pasting into a work item". Is there any more
work to be done for this?

Also can someone give a bit of a background or pointers regarding
moving kobjects:

"The kobjects may have to move to a more proper place in /sys. The
discussion on lkml resulted to putting speech synthesizers in the
"speech" class, and the speakup screen reader itself into
/sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/speakup, the nasty path being handled by
userland tools."

Thanks,
Okash

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/274695/