Talking Debian problem resolved

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Sun Jan 27 13:10:10 EST 2019

Hi,

I received the following solution off-list, the person responding
apparently isn't on this list so I'm sending the solution he gave me in
case anyone else is having the same problem.

Problem: I installed Debian 9.7 from a Netinstall image. The install was
perfectly accessible, but when I booted the new system, it didn't come
up talking. Fortunately I'd chosen to install the SSH server offered
during initial setup.

Solution: In the file /lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service as root,
modifying the line from:

ExecStart=sh -c 'modprobe speakup_soft && /usr/bin/espeakup -V ${VOICE}'

to:

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c 'modprobe speakup_soft && /usr/bin/espeakup -V
${VOICE}'

Restart with the following command:

$ systemctl daemon-reload && systemctl restart espeakup

Hope this helps,

Jayson