Saturday sam update2

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Sat Apr 13 15:48:31 EDT 2019

Hello,

On 13/04/2019 20:55, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Once pulseaudio got introduced the whole sound system due to the strange
> language used with pulseaudio got lots more complex.

Yes the language used by PulseAudio is not obvious (at least for someone
whose native language is French). As an example I had hard time
understanding what a "sink" means. But to be honest the vocabulary used
by ALSA was not easy to grasp for me either. And unfortunately differs.

As an aside, for people seriously wanting to know PulseAudio I highly
recommend reading "PulseAudio under the hood" from Victor Gaydov:
https://gavv.github.io/articles/pulseaudio-under-the-hood/
It covers pretty much every topic you can think of, answers a lot of
questions you may have and issues you could come across. Here is the
table of contents:

Preface
About PulseAudio
High-level components
Key abstractions
D-Bus API
C API
Protocols and networking
Device drivers
Sound processing
Sample cache
Stream management
Time management
Power saving
Automatic setup and routing
Desktop integrations
Compatibility layers
Server internals
Module list
GUI tools
Command line tools
Configuration
Portability
Example setups
Example clients and modules
Critique

Dosed anyone knows a similar document about ALSA?

Best regards

Didier