amixer help

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Apr 5 15:42:16 EDT 2019

Hi, Glenn:

I'm not aware of a way to manage "all" through a single command. Maybe
someone has written a tool like that. Part of the problem is that each
sound card is different, providing more or fewer interface options. And,
if you have more than one card, like I do, things get even more complex.

Here's how to enumerate the cards you have:
aplay -l

Now, for each individual card, where x stands for the card number,  you can query available controls like so:

amixer -Cx controls

You'l find some cards have lots of controls, and others very few. If
you're looking only for volume, grep is your friend like so by way of
example:

amixer -c2 controls |grep -i volume

Of course, if you have but one card, you don't need the -c switch.

Now, to get the current setting for any control, again where x
identifies the card, and y identifies the numeric id you discovered with
the grep above, do like so:

amixer -cx cget numid=y

Lastly, to set the volume:

amixer -cx cset numid=y [value]