command line email clients and gmail.com

Frank Carmickle frank at carmickle.com
Fri Jun 29 10:32:18 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Sorry to be late to the thread

A few things to consider, from where I sit.

Using 465, smtps, is better than using 587 as there are starttls downgrade attacks.

I don’t generally like two factor auth for most services, as the second factor is often associated with the device you are most likely to loose, your phone.

I, like Jason, am running my own mail services as I don’t need google reading my mail any more than they already are, from senders and receivers on their service to me. The more of us who run our own mail systems the better the mail situation will be for us. In recent years it has gotten harder and harder for your legitimate mail to end up in someone’s inbox. Even with dkim and spf many services dump your legitimate mail in to a spam box if you aren’t whitelisted by the user. I too am running rspamd and I’m finding that it does a reasonably good job of keeping the spam count low.

$0.019

--FC