command line email clients and gmail.com

Justin Skists justin.skists at juzza.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 04:39:51 EDT 2018

> On 11 June 2018 at 01:14 Chuck Hallenbeck <chuckhallenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anybody else able to use  gmail.com with that security feature
> disabled, as google advises?  Suggestions appreciated.

Unless mutt and co. start using Google's OAuth and two-factor authentication (like some of the newer GUI clients), it may be impossible to continue to use gmail.com for SMTP and IMAP unless you keep the insecure security settings.

I used to use gmail.com as my kernel development address, but then I started migrating away from it after seeing this news article suggesting that gmail was becoming more-and-more a walled garden:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/16/google_gmail_security/

Justin.