Speakup While Booting?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Jun 6 20:13:19 EDT 2018

What Justin is running is an experimental kernel, which almost
certainly has rough edges. If you really want that, it should be
available on kernel.org presumably. Download the source tarball, apply
the
patch Justin
has sent to the list (since it probably isn't committed even in that
version yet), configure and build the kernel. Install the kernel and
modules, update your boot loader probably with update-grub, cross your
fingers and toes, and reboot.

If you don't want an experimental kernel, then whatever is the latest
from kernel.org should work just as well. If you have a kernel expert
around, that person should know what to do with what I just wrote. For
ease of installation and removal, you might want to ask your kernel
expert to build you .deb packages for the kernel you build.

Greg

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 03:58:52PM -0700, Chime Hart wrote:
> Last week or so, I may have asked here about boot messages while
> speakup-and-the DecTalk are coming up. Well in an interactive boot, reading
> from the journal log, here are 4lines dealing with Speakup
> Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: speakup: module is from the staging directory,
> the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
> Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: speakup: module verification failed: signature
> and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
> Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: input: Speakup as /devices/virtual/input/input3
> Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR
> 10, MINOR 25)
> Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: speakup Back again live, in earlier mesages
> there were mentions of a new patch, I have a Linux expert here now, how do
> we either update or install the latest patches? In Justin's log, you mention
> a kernel4.17  well, I just ran a dist-upgrade here in Debian Buster Sid,
> still around 4.16.2. Thanks so much in advance
> Chime

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1