espeakup stops speaking

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jul 14 06:20:58 EDT 2018

Hi, Frank:

Yours truly successfully upgraded both espeakup and speech-dispatcher to
use espeak-ng just a couple weeks ago. It was not a smooth upgrade, but
it was ultimately very successful and I'm fully functional with snappy
performance from both Speakup and Orca, to say nothing of Fenrir--which
is worth a look in your copious spare time. Always good to have a backup
screen reader around, but I digress.

I mentioned issues upgrading to use espeak-ng. I knew I'd need to use
espeakup-git and speech-dispatcher-git for that, both of which had
compile issues on my system. I was helped y bdier Spaier on the Orca
list. Head of email thread for that conversation is at:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2018-July/msg00052.html

BTW: Dieder has released a grub handling script that looks really useful
in the past several days:

https://github.com/DidierSpaier/EFI3M

If I understand the above, it mods grub to play a unique tune for each
grub entry on boot. And, the script itself allows reordering grub
entries, or creating a bootable USB.

hth

Janina