Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jan 27 08:23:09 EST 2018

Okash is correct, but this guidance presumes Kali Linux actually
provides those modules, i.e. the staging kernel modules. Does it? I,
personally, don't know Kali well enough to say without doing some
research.

So, Timothy, perhaps you should tell us how you are accessing your Kali
installation? Are you using Orca in the gui? Even though you intend to
drop the gui eventually? If so, you can open a Gnome-Terminal session
and issue a command like:

locate speakup.ko

If this returns a pointer to the file, you have the staging modules
installed, and Okash's advice is the next step. Or perhaps the step
after you get software speech installed--espeak and then espeakup would
be the easiest path for that.

Lastly, you should probably wait to have Speakup working for you before
eliminating the gui--especially if Orca is your current access. Once you
are ready, though, the process is likely a set of systemctl commands as
most Linux today are system d driven.

hth

Janina