Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Okash Khawaja okash.khawaja at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 02:58:10 EST 2018

Hi Timothy,

Welcome to speakup :)

There is http://linux-speakup.org/spkguide.txt which should help.
Basically you need two kernel modules loaded. One is speakup.ko and
the other depends upon which synthesizer you want to use. So for
example for Apollo you'll need speakup_apollo.ko. You can also use
software synth speakup_soft.ko if you don't have a hardware synth. All
supported synths are mentioned in spkguide linked above.

If it's a hardware synth then the two kernel modules is all you need.
If it's speakup_soft.ko then some user-space text-to-speech software
will be required. If you can explain where you're getting stuck then
we can help more :)

Cheers!
Okash