my Dectalk Express speakup woes

Rudy Vener salt at panix.com
Mon Feb 19 12:50:01 EST 2018

Zack,
I'm connecting my Dectalk Express to the DB-9 pin connector on my PC serial card using
a standard RS-232 serial cable. There is no USB involved here.
This  is the same   plain old serial port I used to hook    up
to my       talking VT100 talking terminal with a null modem cable.
This is the serial port that DOS knows as COM1, and that most linux
systems know as /dev/ttyS0.

I can redirect text to /dev/ttyS0
and my Dectalk speaks it with no problem. As a matter of fact, I wrote a PERL script
to let me navigate through a text file and listen to it with Dectalk
instead  of Espeak.

This isn't as good as getting Dectalk working with speakup, but
for now, it's all I've got.

Rudy

--
Rudy Vener