DecTalk Working Well in Ubuntu 17.10

Chime Hart chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sun Nov 5 08:42:28 EST 2017

Well, Friday evening I tried posting but it bounced. We first tried regular
Debian9 but was only able to have espeak. Then tried a full Ubuntu, but because
the graphical was somewhere in the way, the right-side of the keyboard did not
work with Speakup. So installing a minimal version without much graphical did
work. My DecTalk U S B seems louder, but just as before, settings are not
saving. Still less often than before, volume does drop, where I must jossle it
up-and-down. Certainly an anoyance, I cannot modify any settings in
/sys/accessibility  as I get swop-and-permission errors, even with sudo. I
certainly would like to run a command to increase an inflection in this decTalk.
Something else rather weird, probably unrelated, we altered a VGA setting to
increase number of lines. Then changed to another font, now I have 150lines.
Things are great, but while in Pine, once I get to a message body, I hear no
typing-and-see blank lines, however, I did send myself a message-and-I am really
typing. Its weird that the other fields in Pine are reading but no message text.
I might need to write to comp.mail.pine, but if any of you have any ideas, will
be happy to try. I always wanted more lines, especially as the Speakup
cut-and-paste only stores 1 screeen.
Thanks so much in advance--and-by the way, for Kirk, maybe others, I did change
my name from Larry to
Chime