bns indexing, was: Re: DecTalk External (decext) testers wanted!

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon May 1 16:46:25 EDT 2017

I thought there was only one form of indexing, and that we're talking
about the same one. Here's the relevant excerpt from the bns user's
manual:

"               Another interesting feature of speech box mode is
          "indexing".  This capability only works if the screen access
          program you're using supports indexing. Indexing means that the
          Braille 'n Speak is so closely linked to the PC cursor as it's
          reading that, if you issue a "stop reading" command on your PC,
          the PC cursor and the Braille 'n Speak will both stop at the same
          place.  In other words, the last word uttered by the Braille 'n
          Speak is the same word as where your PC cursor rests.  This can
          be very handy when you're editing, for example, using a word
          processor in your PC.
               If your screen access program has the capability to change
          speech parameters - rate of speech, volume, and so forth - you
          can change how the Braille 'n Speak reads to you from your PC
          keyboard.  Here is a brief list of the speech parameters you
          might be able to control from your PC if your screen access
          program lets you do it:

          -    Volume - Control e x v, where x represents a volume from 01
            to 16, 01 being the lowest volume.
          -    Pitch - Control e x p, where x represents a pitch from 01 to
            63, 01 being the lowest pitch.
          -    Speech rate - Control e x e, where x represents a rate from
            01 to 16, 01 being the slowest speech rate.
          -    Frequency - Control e x t, where x represents a tone from 01
            to 25, 01 being the lowest.
          -    Punctuation level - Control e followed by a, m, s, or z,
            where the letters represent All, Most, Some, or No punctuation,
            respectively.
          -    Index marker - Control f.
          -    Silence command - Control x."

I gather from the above that ctrl+f is something the computer sends to
the bns, not the other way around. Either I'm misunderstanding what
the manual says, or there are indeed at least two kinds of indexing.

Greg

On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 09:59:48AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> I believe you are not talking about the same kind of "indexing". John
> talks about the device being able to report to the computer which word
> the speech is currently speaking, so the computer can know the progress
> of the speech.
>
> Samuel

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1