Raspberry Pi

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 19:30:57 EDT 2017

The Raspberry Pi3 is not really much better than the Pi2, because
although it has a 64-bit processor, the software and kernel doesn't take
advantage of the 64-bit optimizations, and the Debian flavor for the
Raspberry Pi, known as Raspbian, is from all I've read, only built for
earlier processors even than the Raspberry Pi 1, as it's apparently
armv5 compatible, whereas the Pi2 is armv7 and the Pi3 is in reality
aarch64. Couple that with the fact that the Raspberry Pi has to run from
slow MicroSD, and as far as I know, can't even take full advantage of
UHS1 or other advancements in the MicroSD specification that make it
faster or more reliable.

Your best experience would likely be running the 64-bit Odroid C2
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438
with either the Ubuntu, or rather I believe Ubuntu-MATE distribution
that comes with the optional eMMC module you can plug into it, or
possibly ArchLinuxARM
http://archlinuxarm.org/
These are true 64-bit single board computers with true 64-bit software
to match, and for only a slightly higher price than the Raspberry Pi3,
these have a much faster CPU and twice the RAM. The only trouble you may
have is the fact that Speakup isn't built into the kernel, as they don't
enable staging modules. But you can grab Fenrir from the Arch User
Repository or from
git clone https://github.com/chrys87/fenrir
and finally separate your screen reader from the kernel entirely. Yes,
you will need to get this stuff started over ssh, but you'll appreciate
the faster computer and the userspace screen reader. Hope this helps.
Sent from a meteorite that landed on Mars and started spewing out e-mail
messages at random