First post, re vm / speakup / debian?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sun Jun 18 16:56:10 EDT 2017

I'm running the same debian 7 guest on both a windows host and a
devuan 1 host, not at the same time of course. The devuan host is running xfce, and I find myself
managing the guest from the GUI mostly. The GUI is qt-based, so the
accessibility is not what it would probably be if it was gtk-based,
but it is still useable. Also, everything that can be done from the
GUI on virtualbox can also be done through the command line.

As for the guest itself, it's very much as if it were the host. Some
usb devices passed through to the guest don't handle as fast as they
would on bare metal, but that's about it. If you have more specific
questions, I'll try to answer them.

Greg

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 07:38:41PM -0400, Terry D. Cudney wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Been lurking on this list for a  long time, so here comes a question:
>
>    Kirk tells me that some of you are using virtual machines with speakup.
>
>    Which vm works best? kvm/qemu? vmware? virtualbox?  other?
>
>    Target system is debian, on a asus laptop i7 64-bit, 8GB ram 1TB hdd.
>
>    I have need to run windows 10, currently dual-booting with uefi/gpt, but want t+o run in a vm on this system.
>
>    Also, curious about possibility of running android development in the same vm environment.
>
>    Any suggestions/observations/experiences are very welcome.
>
> TIA,
>
>  --terry
>
> --
> Name: Terry D. Cudney