[patch 0/2] staging: speakup: support more than ttyS*

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Jun 14 00:50:35 EDT 2017

Okash and list, I tried building the modules from your repo, and am
running into a compilation error. I'll describe what I did. I'm
building on the same machine and in the same environment that I used
for my previous speakup testing. This is on a devuan 1.0 system.

1. git clone https://github.com/bytefire/speakup-decext
The repo cloned without issues.

2. Since the speakup-decext.txt file still mentions using the 4.10.9
   kernel tree, I used the source I already had built previously, and
   just got rid of drivers/staging/speakup.

3. Move speakup2.tgz to drivers/staging, and extract it. All went ok.

4. cd to the root of the kernel source, and run make modules:

  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
  CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
  CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CC [M]  drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_acntpc.o
drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_acntpc.c:313:42: error: expected )
  before int
 module_param_hw_named(port, port_forced, int, ioport, 0444);
                                          ^
scripts/Makefile.build:300: recipe for target
  'drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_acntpc.o' failed
make[3]: *** [drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_acntpc.o] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.build:553: recipe for target
  'drivers/staging/speakup' failed
make[2]: *** [drivers/staging/speakup] Error 2
scripts/Makefile.build:553: recipe for target 'drivers/staging' failed
make[1]: *** [drivers/staging] Error 2
Makefile:988: recipe for target 'drivers' failed
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

What I find strange here is that the acntpc driver is for the internal
isa card, so it shouldn't have been effected by the serial changes,
correct?

I don't need the acntpc module, so I could just remove it from the
config, and go on. However, others who build a kernel using debian's
default kernel config will have the module included, and will probably
run into this. Thanks.

Greg

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 12:29:29PM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 12:24:10PM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > These patches extend speakup support to ttyS* and lp*. They introduce a
> > new module param dev whose purpose is similar to ser but instead of
> > taking serial port number as argument, it takes strings like ttyS0 or
> > ttyUSB0. First patch just adds functionality to convert such strings
> > into dev_t. Second patch makes use of that functionlity.
>
> I have updated the speakup-decext repo [1] to latest, including bns
> migration and support for more than ttyS*. Please do test with 'dev'
> module param.
>
> One thing I noticed in my testing is that when loading with incorrect
> 'dev' value several times in a row, it eventually succeeds in loading.
> That seems like an existing issue with synths[] array which caches
> already loaded synths. I am investigating it now.
>
> [1] https://github.com/bytefire/speakup-decext
>
> Cheers!
> Okash

web site: http://www.gregn.net