Best text-based speakup linux install

Tom Fowle wa6ivgtf at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 4 00:20:20 EST 2017

Hi Joseph,
I'm currently running Debian Wheezie 32 bit on an old 1.3GHZ asis P2C motherboard
with 750mB of ram.
Reason for keeping this old box is an ISA slot that runs my favorite synth,
Doubletalk.
Sometimes when copying very large talking books, like 350MB to an SD card,
the system "kills" some processes when out of memory.
Apparrently these processes restart when the copy is done.

I can have two or three text consoles open at a time and there is little
extra delay.

In other words, using command line only, it works fine.

Running Gnome with Orca and espeak it becomes unacceptably slow.

P.S. the motherboard won't take more ram or I'd add it.

tom Fowle