Best text-based speakup linux install

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Fri Feb 3 23:49:47 EST 2017

By 512-Mb, I assume the gentleman means amount of RAM. If that's
correct, then I can tell you an install of the devuan 1.0 beta without
a GUI runs just fine in a virtualbox guest with 512 megs of
ram. Therefore, debian 8 would run fine as well. A system with 512
megs of RAM probably has something like a pentium II/III
CPU. Gnome/orca could probably run on that, but it would be a slow
experience most likely.

Now, if 512-mb means hard drive ... ... a minimal install of the
latest devuan and debian takes about 400 megs of space. So it could be
done, but ...

Greg

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 10:31:30PM -0500, Joseph Norton wrote:
> Hi listers:
>

> I had a gentleman write me off-list and he told me he has a 512-Mb system
> he'd like to install some kind of text-based distro on.
>

> I think he could still even install Debian without the X system, but, I'm
> not sure which release to point him to.
>

> Also, I bet Arch would be another good possibility.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks!

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1