Kali Linux

Øyvind Lode oyvind.lode at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 14:29:53 EDT 2017

Installed kali with speech.
Kali installed a desktop by default and I did not get the option to
not install a desktop like in debian.
The system did not talk when I booted it up after installation.
No braille either though I used both braille and speech during install.
I switched to a text console and fired up brltty and configured it to
start at boot time using systemctl.
All services is disabled by default on kali.
Ok, so far so good.
I have braille now which makes it easier to type commands and read
output in the text console <smile>
I then found that espeakup is in fact there but not loaded at startup.
speakup and speakup_soft kernel modules is not loaded at boot up either.
Loaded both speakup and speakup_soft and started espeakup and wolla;
it's speaking.
Still no speech in the gui though but I don't care about the gui.
I hope I can perform all hacking and penetration testing from the text
console anyway.
If I have to use orca and the gui I will have a problem since kali
will be running in a VM on a server and I don't know about a way to
run X and gui apps remotely in a accessible way for me that depend on
a screen reader.
Currently I'm running kali on my own vm at home where I now have both
braille and speech on the text console and I can access it from all
hosts on my lan via ssh (including over the internet).