[patch 0/6] staging: speakup: migrate synths to use TTY-based comms

Okash Khawaja okash.khawaja at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 07:06:39 EDT 2017

Hi Tony,

> On 30 Apr 2017, at 11:21, Tony Baechler <tony at baechler.net> wrote:
>
> I'm sorry for asking this, but does this mean I don't need to apply the hack to grab serial ports in recent kernels? In other words, if I load speakup_dectlk, will it actually work without the patch to serialio.c which was posted a long time ago?
Yes

> I'm not a programmer. All recent kernels don't let the synths grab the serial ports, so when the modules load, you get no speech. Is this resolved?
Migrated synths don't do port stealing so that shouldn't be a problem.

> Also, can you give a brief summary of user-visible changes in your patches over the past months?
So these patches don't change user-visible functionality. Any change on that side resulting from these patches will be useful feedback. The changes only alter the way the drivers communicate with external synths.

> I'm compiling a 4.10 kernel with your patches and I want to know what to test and if there are new features. Your speakup2 tarball compiled fine on Debian kernel 4.10.7.
That's great! If anything that would be the bottleneck in testing :)

> Thanks very much for your many patches and the huge amount of work you put into this. I'm looking forward to testing.
Means a lot :)