[patch 0/6] staging: speakup: migrate synths to use TTY-based comms

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Apr 30 06:21:18 EDT 2017

On 4/29/2017 12:58 PM, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> This patchset migrates all external synths from using raw serial i/o to
> using tty-based comms. The synths not migrated are internal ones -
> plugged directly into motherboard, communicating over ISA etc. It's
> important to note that these patches access TTY from inside kernel.

I'm sorry for asking this, but does this mean I don't need to apply the hack
to grab serial ports in recent kernels? In other words, if I load
speakup_dectlk, will it actually work without the patch to serialio.c which
was posted a long time ago? I'm not a programmer. All recent kernels don't
let the synths grab the serial ports, so when the modules load, you get no
speech. Is this resolved?

Also, can you give a brief summary of user-visible changes in your patches
over the past months? I'm compiling a 4.10 kernel with your patches and I
want to know what to test and if there are new features. Your speakup2
tarball compiled fine on Debian kernel 4.10.7.

Thanks very much for your many patches and the huge amount of work you put
into this. I'm looking forward to testing.