bluetooth query

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Tue Apr 4 19:09:46 EDT 2017

Yes, you can run Speakup through a bluetooth headset.  As I said earlier
in the thread, bluez-alsa is a dead-end.  I finally had to make my peace
with pulseaudio over the last couple days.  In order to use it with one
of the Speakup softsynth options, you must run pulse in system mode.
The pulse developers strongly discourage this.  One of their biggest
reasons is security concerns in a multiuser setup.  Frankly, I could
care less, because the machines in my house are just used by me or my
partner.  It's not like we're in a corporate environment.  Getting pulse
to run in system mode took a bit of work.  Since it is so frowned upon,
the documentation for doing it is pretty minimal.  And my distro didn't
seem to have many helpful resources.  Tomorrow, when I'm thinking more
clearly, I'll try and document all of the steps I took to get it to
work.

So to all of the people (including me) who said that speakup / espeakup
don't play nicely together, that's only partially correct.  If you're
willing to run in system mode and go against the recommendations of the
pulse people, they play quite nicely together indeed.

-- Chris